Ask a questionQ & A
What is the most effective way to stop masturbating?
Thanks for such an honest question and we understand how difficult this will have been to ask, even online. Firstly, we have written some previous answers about masturbation and if it is a sin:
Please check out our previous answers regarding masturbation here: lookingforgod.com/questions-and-answers/category/12/question/615/
If you want to stop masturbating then you need to understand that the Bible teaches we must trust in God for help on all issues of sin, temptation and lust.
Firstly we know that it is humanly impossible for us to change without God's divine help. Before we knew God, the Bible teaches that we had a heart of stone (Ezekiel 11:19). We must ask God for a new heart through faith in Jesus Christ. Then the Holy Spirit is given to us as a gift to keep us close to God and help us live a new life in Christ. You need to rely fully on God for help to change. Prayer is the first thing we need to do.
Secondly there are some practical things you can do to help stop:
- You may find it helpful to have someone you can speak to about these issues and text or call them, as well as praying, when you are feeling tempted. Most people struggle or have struggled with these issues in the past and so will either mutually benefit from having someone to talk to or will be there for you if they have struggled in the past.
- Fill your mind with positive things that do not make you want to masturbate: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)
- Put software and blocks in place to stop any material entering your mind from the internet or television that will cause you to stumble.
- Be aware of the times of day that you struggle and find something else to do during those times.
- Pray for a healthy relationship with another person. The Bible teaches if we 'burn with lust' then we should get married, although this should not be entered into lightly. See 1 Corinthians 7.
- Remember to be slow to sin and quick to repent when you do sin.
- Read good books about sanctification; dealing with sin and about how good God is.
In summary, there are a number of things that you can do to stop masturbating. Overall, I encourage you to pray, read your Bible and be a regularly attend a Bible believing church, that you may be more transformed into the image of Christ. (2 Corinthians 3:18)
Here are some more Bible Verses for your further consideration:
- 1 Corinthians 7
- Philippians 4:8
- Ezekiel 11:19
I hope this answer helps you to find peace with God through Jesus Christ. If you want to know more about what Jesus has done for you please watch the video on the main part of our site: Watch the video
I encourage you to attend a local Bible believing church and speak to the leader about your question. If you want to find a local church, our Church Finder may help you: Find a Church
Please feel free to submit a question to us or to read our answer database: Ask a Question
*All Scripture references are taken From The English Standard Version of the Holy Bible unless stated otherwise
*If anything in this answers affects you directly, then please feel free to call our confidential prayer line in the UK on 0845 4567729, where trained Christian volunteers will take your call and pray both for you and with you. If you are outside of the UK then you may submit your request for prayer on line at www.ucb.co.uk/prayerline
Find more answers in...
If you can't find an answer to your question, please ask us instead.