Ask a questionQ & A
I know God is my protector and rock, but sometimes my fears are bigger than my faith.
Thank you for speaking to us about your situation. I think deep down, every Christian has a degree of fear and doubt; we're all human. In fact, there were several occasions when even the disciples were overtaken by fear, and they were in the presence of Jesus. Think of the disciples in the boat during the storm on Galilee, or when they saw Jesus walking towards them across the water and were terrified!
When you're experiencing moments of fear in your life, it's good to actively remind yourself of the promises that God has made to those He loves. Let's take a look at some verses from the Bible, and hopefully they will provide something to focus on and get comfort from when those fears do rise up in your heart and mind. You may already be familiar with them, but it's always good to remind ourselves:
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:31-32)
- Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted. (Isaiah 40:28-30)
- For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:13)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)
- Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... (Isaiah 49:16)
It is not clear what your fears are from the message you sent us; you could be struggling with many things, from financial concerns or anxiety, to fear of illness or pressure over exams. Whatever your fears relate to, as a child of God you are loved, and although He doesn't promise a fear-free or suffering-free life, He does promise never to put us through more than we can bear. I encourage you to read the book of Job to see an example of how God cared for him through some seriously difficult life situations. Perhaps this will offer you some comfort too.
I do hope this general answer to your question goes some way to helping you find peace with God through Jesus Christ our Lord. If you want to know more about what Jesus has done for you please watch the video on the main part of our site: www.lookingforGod.com
In closing, I want to encourage you to get more involved with your local church. It would be good to speak to a Christian leader or another trusted church individual regarding your question. I know they would be delighted to further answer you as well as offer prayer and support as you continue your spiritual journey:
Please use our Interactive Answer Matrix and feel free to ask another question. Our helpful staff are praying for you and waiting to try and answer to you from the Bible, and will be delighted to tell you more about Jesus Christ the Lord, the Saviour of the world.
*All Scripture references are taken From The English Standard Version of the Holy Bible unless stated otherwise
*If anything in this answer affects you directly, then please feel free to call our confidential prayer line in the UK on 0845 4567729, where trained Christian volunteers will take your call and pray both for you and with you. If you are outside of the UK then you may submit your request for prayer on line at www.ucb.co.uk/prayerline
Find more answers in...
If you can't find an answer to your question, please ask us instead.