Ask a questionQ & A
How can our small congregation work to spread God's message in our town? How can we reach out to families, young people and everyone who needs God's love?
Thank you for this great question about engaging with your community with the gospel. I have some simple suggestions and some more complex ones for your leaders to consider.
Some simple ideas include:
- Messy Church is an opportunity to invite new families into the Church and also to share the gospel with the whole family. It involves providing a meal, craft and story time which children of all ages can get involved in.
- Christians Against Poverty has debt help centres, CAP Money education courses, job clubs and release groups. These courses are all run in local Churches and give the Church a great way to engage with needy people in the community.
- Food Bank have enabled Churches to serve the poor with free food and also welcome people into their community.
- A parent's and toddlers group is a great way to use the Church building to invite people into the community.
- A Café / coffee morning for members of the community.
- Youth work for a variety of ages can engage local children and young people and teach them the good news of Jesus.
- Door to door work. Simply knocking on doors is a great way of meeting local people and telling them about Jesus and the work of the Church.
- Open air work. This might take place in the centre of town and consist of songs and a short word. This is a good opportunity for people to see the Church outside of the four walls of a building.
All of these things can be advertised by posters / flyers, word of mouth and door to door in the local area.
The more complex suggestions I have involve a bigger investment from the Church:
- A: Get involved in a bigger network of Churches that would be able to speak into your situation and advise you.
- B: Invite a bigger local Church to consider ‘adopting’ or ‘strengthening’ your situation. This may involve them sending a few families to join your Church and also helping to lead. This, if done well, can really bring new life into a Church.
- C: Consider trying to advertise for a Church leader with a new vision to take the Church.
Without knowing you, your town, your history or doctrine more closely it is hard to say much more than this. Keep praying and seeking God to bless you. Enjoy God and each other. Be warm, welcoming and love God! We will pray for you.
Please use our Interactive Answer Matrix and feel free to ask another question. Our helpful staff are praying for you and waiting to try and answer to you from the Bible, and will be delighted to tell you more about Jesus Christ the Lord, the Saviour of the world. www.lookingforgod.com/your-questions
*If anything in this answer affects you directly, then please feel free to call our confidential prayer line in the UK on 0845 4567729, where trained Christian volunteers will take your call and pray both for you and with you. If you are outside of the UK then you may submit your request for prayer on line at www.ucb.co.uk/prayerline
Find more answers in...
If you can't find an answer to your question, please ask us instead.