Ask a questionQ & A

Questions & answers    RELATIONSHIPS    Divorce & Separation


I have depression and stress with my children. I don't see them as I am divorced.


Thank you for contacting us with your problem. I am so glad that you are looking for spiritual answers from God rather than human opinions. I hope I can help you find them.

You do not explain your circumstances very fully, but I understand that you are depressed because your marriage ended in divorce and you do not see your children. I am very sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you.

It must be very hard to cope with your feelings about all this. I wonder whether you are able to talk to anyone about the way you feel? If you have not done so, it would be worth visiting your doctor and discussing whether you could have any counselling. 

There is one Person, in any case, to whom you can always talk. God understands your problems better than any human being ever could. He knows all about the mistakes you have made, the wrong you may have done and also the wrongs that have been done to you. He made you, He loves you and He wants to heal your heart and help you. 

If you are willing to let Him do this, the first thing you need to do is to be completely honest with Him. Admit to Him the wrong things you have done and humble yourself to ask for His forgiveness. We all fall short of God's standard. This is what the Bible says:

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans  3:23)

For the wages of sin is death,  but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

We must face our own guilt in order to find peace. Then we can find, not just peace but forgiveness and eternal life. 

Here is another promise from God to you. It is part of Proverbs chapter 3. If you have a Bible, it would be worth your while finding this part of the Bible and reading the whole chapter.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Be wise. Trust God and let Him lead you and teach you what to do. He can help you to start again and show you a whole new way of living. Perhaps, then with His help and prayer, you may be able to win the trust of your ex-spouse and have more access to your children.

It would be wise, too, to find a good church, where you can learn more about God and His Word, and where you may be able to talk to a leader there about your problems. Here is another quotation from Proverbs 3:

Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart;. So you will find favour and good success in the sight of God and man. (Proverbs 3: 3-4)

I do hope this general answer to your question goes some way to helping you find peace with God through Jesus Christ our Lord. If you want to know more about what Jesus has done for you please watch the video on the main part of our site:

In closing, I want to encourage you again to get more involved with your local church. It would be good to speak to a Christian leader or another trusted church individual regarding your question. I know they would be delighted to further answer you as well as offer prayer and support as you continue your spiritual journey:

Please use our Interactive Answer Matrix and feel free to ask another question. Our helpful staff are praying for you and waiting to try and answer to you from the Bible, and will be delighted to tell you more about Jesus Christ the Lord, the Saviour of the world.

*All Scripture references are taken From The English Standard Version of the Holy Bible unless stated otherwise

*If anything in this answer affects you directly, then please feel free to call our confidential prayer line in the UK on 0845 4567729, where trained Christian volunteers will take your call and pray both for you and with you. If you are outside of the UK then you may submit your request for prayer on line at

Find more answers in...

Questions & answers    RELATIONSHIPS  

Divorce & Separation

If you can't find an answer to your question, please ask us instead.

Twitter icon Facebook icon